Current:Home > InvestBuckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl' -Finovate
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 13:33:15
LONDON - Buckingham Palace said Friday it would investigate staff working for Britain's royal family following an after-party, which the Sun reported ended in a "punch-up" and "bar brawl."
Workers attended an early evening reception at Buckingham Palace before heading to a nearby bar to carry on the celebrations.
But their partying got out of hand, and police were called "after glasses were hurled and punches thrown," the Sun said.
Buckingham Palace said on Friday that palace officials were aware of an incident which had taken place outside the workplace following a reception at the official London residence of King Charles.
"While this was an informal social gathering, not an official Palace Christmas party, the facts will be fully investigated, with a robust disciplinary process followed in relation to individual staff and appropriate action taken," Buckingham Palace said in a statement.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Rough year for royals
News of the investigation comes against the backdrop of a tumultuous year for the royal family marked by illness and strained relations with Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan, who now reside in America.
Princess Kate announced earlier this year that she had been diagnosed with cancer, following a months-long public (and tabloid) fever about her whereabouts. After undergoing a course of preventative chemotherapy, the princess returned to royal duties, helping to share the workload with King Charles, who revealed his own cancer diagnosis in February, and Queen Camilla, who has been intermittently ill.
Princess Kate offers rare commenton 'challenging' year at Christmas concert
Meanwhile, across the pond, Harry and Meghan are locked in a number of legal battles with British publishers. The trial with Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, whom they are suing over phone hacking and illegally obtaining medical records, is expected to kick off in the coming weeks.
Contributing: Anna Kaufman, USA TODAY
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (8813)
Related
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Sean Lowe Reveals This Is the Key to His and Catherine Giudici's 10-Year Marriage
- Kansas City Chiefs CEO's Wife and Daughter Speak Out Amid Harrison Butker Controversy
- Orioles legend Cal Ripken Jr. thinks Jackson Holliday may have needed more time in the minors
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Last pandas in the U.S. have a timetable to fly back to China
- Alice Stewart, CNN political commentator, dies at 58
- American who disappeared in Syria in 2017 presumed dead, daughter says
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Georgia freshman wide receiver arrested for reckless driving
Ranking
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Whoopi Goldberg reflects on family, career in new memoir Bits and Pieces
- Psst! Target Just Dropped New Stanley Cup Summer Shades & You Need Them in Your Collection ASAP
- The Best Beach Towels on Amazon That’re Quick-Drying and Perfect To Soak up Some Vitamin Sea On
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- America’s first Black astronaut candidate finally goes to space 60 years later on Bezos rocket
- 3 dead, including 6-year-old boy, after Amtrak train hits pickup truck in New York
- San Diego deputy who pleaded guilty to manslaughter now faces federal charges
Recommendation
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
How Controversy Has Made Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Stronger Than Ever
Sentencing trial set to begin for Florida man who executed 5 women at a bank in 2019
The sequel has been much better for Luka Doncic and Kyrie Irving as Mavs head to West finals
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Schauffele wins first major at PGA Championship in a thriller at Valhalla
Orioles legend Cal Ripken Jr. thinks Jackson Holliday may have needed more time in the minors
‘No sign of life’ at crash site of helicopter carrying Iran’s president, others